Hastings & St Leonards Observer
The Hastings & St Leonards Observer, commonly referred to as just the Hastings Observer was first published in 1859. During the First World War period, it was a weekly paper, published every Saturday. It is still in print today and is published every Friday. We have digitised every edition of this newspaper from 3 January 1914 to 27 December 1919
These newspapers are historical documents and, as a result of being 100 years old, are faded in places. However, because they are such a precious resource we believe you will greatly appreciate being able to examine the original newspapers with all their historical weight and age.
Guidelines for viewing the newspapers
Clicking on any of the links below will open up that edition of the newspaper in a new window. Depending on the speed of your computer and your internet connection, it may take a short time for the newspaper to fully load.
Recommendations for viewing the newspapers online
- Make sure you are using an up-to-date Internet Browser (such as Google Chrome or Internet Explorer 11);
- To speed up the process, do not use the ‘full screen version’ option on the viewing player until the newspaper has fully downloaded. You can still zoom in with the smaller window to view the newspaper at a far larger font size than it ever appeared in print;
- mobile devices and tablets are unlikely to be able to access these newspapers so use a computer if possible;
- We are aware that some Mac users may also experience difficulties accessing the newspapers at this time;
- If you are having difficulty viewing a newspaper you can use the download button in the top right hand corner of the viewing software. This will allow you to download the newspaper as a PDF directly to your computer and view it there.
Searching the newspapers online
These newspapers have been scanned in a manner which makes them searchable (but can also cause delays when downloading). To use this function, click on the magnifying glass symbol on the screen. If you tick the box ‘highlight all’, the viewer will indicate whereabouts on the page your chosen search term appears. There may be a delay whist the search runs in the newspaper.
If you are having any difficulties when opening these newspapers, please contact us to let us know. We are more than happy to email you selected newspaper editions for you to view on your home computer. We will continue working on the software and the newspapers themselves to ensure that everyone will get the chance to view this new resource.